The Duke of Edinburgh Award
The Duke of Edinburgh Award is the world’s leading achievement award for young people. It is an important part of our extra-curricular work at the Collegiate as it helps to deliver our vision of providing "inspirational experiences ... beyond the classroom", fulfilling our motto of "Learners of today. Leaders of tomorrow."
The award aims to create a world where young people can reach their full potential whatever their circumstances. The charity’s ethos is to enable every young person of every background to do their DofE and succeed, regardless of any barriers.
Students undertaking the DofE programme complete four different types of activity at Bronze and Silver level and five at Gold level to achieve an Award:
- Volunteering: undertake service to individuals or the community. This develops compassion, commitment and the confidence to make a difference.
- Physical: improve in an area of sport, dance or fitness activities. This develops fitness, enjoyment and, depending on the activity, teamwork.
- Skills: develop practical and social skills and personal interests. This helps young people to realise their unique potential and gain greater self-esteem.
- Expedition: plan, train for, and complete an adventurous journey in the UK or abroad. This develops teamwork and leadership, and challenges young people to push themselves beyond their expectations.
- Residential (Gold level only): stay and work away from home doing a shared activity. Again this challenges young people, who must work with strangers to achieve a positive goal.
Why do your DofE?
Good question! Because, from the first day to the last it’s a real adventure. Every section gives you something different.
You’ll enjoy loads of new experiences, discover talents you never thought you had, challenge yourself and meet loads of people just like you.
- achieving an Award will give you skills, confidence and a view on life that everyone is looking for, from employers to colleges and universities.
- you are getting recognised for doing things you want to do (and may even be doing already).
- you will make a difference to other people’s lives and your community, be fitter and healthier, make new friends and have memories to last you a lifetime.
Doing your DofE really does give you the skills for life and work.
The DofE award is offered at 3 levels at Riddlesdown Collegiate.
The Bronze Award assembly for new Year 9 students will take place in October. If students are interested they will be given a letter to take home giving details of how to apply.
The Silver Award assembly for new Year 10 students will take place shortly after the October half term. If students are interested they will be given a letter to take home giving details of how to apply.
The Gold Award is now offered at Riddlesdown and is open to students in College VI.
For general information on the Duke of Edinburgh Award please visit www.dofe.org.
Year 9 Bronze D of E Enrolment 2018/19
Year 10 Silver D of E Enrolment 2018/19