Educating Yourself Beyond the Curriculum
We believe that progress is not just about examination results. Education in College VI is more than ‘teaching to the test'. We provide a safe, positive, respectful community within which students are not afraid to be sceptical; take risks; rise to challenges and show resilience when faced with adversity. They need to have the confidence to say ‘I don’t know’ as a precursor to ‘but I will find out.’ We foster a culture of curiosity and reflection and a love of learning which extends beyond the curriculum.
You need to get in to the habit of reading a broadsheet newspaper and / or listening to BBC Radio 4. You need to watch the news on TV and you would also benefit from watching programmes such as Question Time; University Challenge and 'Have I got News for You'. Here is an example of an article which also links with the first topic we covered in Year 12 PHSEE on the over sexualisation and objectification of women.
College VI is a member of The Institute of Ideas which is a brilliant organisation formed with a view to stimulate thinking and provoke debate. Every year the organisation holds a 'Battle of Ideas' in London. You can download the transcripts of the debates here. We hold our own ' College VI Battle of Ideas' in the summer term.
Other interesting, thought provoking opportunities:
Cambridge University have produced a fabulous website designed to help students think beyond their A’ levels and prepare for university study. The subject resources will help you to discover new interests and develop your academic skills. You will find a mixture of written material and blogs as well as a chance to listen to some lectures.
- UEA is an internationally renowned university providing top quality academic, social and cultural facilities to over 15000 students.
- Highlights and transcripts of the UCL Brainfood lectures
- The Institute of Ideas
- TED lectures
- In Our Time Archive and In Our Time Radio 4
- Harvard University online lectures
- The Do Lectures
- Innocent Inspires
- The Royal Institution
- BBC Radio 4 The Ideas That Make Us - Bettany Hughes
- BBC Radio 4 Law in Action
- BBC Radio 4 Moral Maze
- BBC Radio 4 Word of Mouth
- BBC Radio4 A History of Ideas
- Radio Lab is a show about curiosity. Where sound illuminates ideas, and the boundaries blur between science, philosophy, and human experience.
- Plain English
- What's on- British Science Association
- Ancient Greece: The greatest show on earth
- Dr Kathryn Harkup - freelance science communicator delivering talks and workshops on the quirky side of science
- Oxford Dictionary - Language Matters